Hannah talks about her experiences as an intern at the Java Wildlife Rescue Centre My name is Hannah Griffiths I am 22 and from England. I studied geography at the…
CARE FOR RESCUED WILDLIFE: ORANGUTAN, GIBBONS, SUN BEARS and other RAINFOREST ANIMALS
PLUS HELP TO RAISE MONEY for a better quality of life for these rescued animals.
Poaching and illegal wildlife trafficking are at crisis levels, especially in Asia. The rescue centres that we support in Malaysia (incl. Borneo) and Indonesia need urgent help. There is not only the hands-on work of feeding, enrichment and caring for the animals such as orangutan, gibbons, sun bears, birds, deer and other rainforest animals. In addition, it is vital that their cause is communicated to different audiences: potential volunteers or interns, possible donors or school groups and universities. This requires communication skills such as excellent writing or photography and video. Good knowledge of Social Media and creating Website Content is also very helpful.
So this internship is definitely varied and will offer a wide range of learning opportunities, from animal husbandry and veterinary practice to writing blog posts or social media content with images and video.You will receive training and support for all these activities, starting with a two week induction in Kuala Lumpur in September. After your training, you will travel to our partner rescue centres in East or West Malaysia, or in Yogjakarta, Indonesia. Your internship will be tailored to your own interests as much as possible. We will agree an itinerary and personal development plan with you beforehand. You will have a personal mentor and assistance while at the centres.
We are looking for candidates with:
- Good knowledge (preferably a relevant degree) of conservation and passion for wildlife
- Some experience of communications or digital marketing, or a strong interest in acquiring communication skills
- Highly organised and self-motivated
- Good IT competency and use of own laptop
- Good level of fitness to work in tropical conditions (rainforest) and flexibility to adapt to different culture
- Good level of English, written and verbal
- This internship is on a VOLUNTEER basis. You will be provided with training and induction PLUS personal supervision
- You will need to book your own international travel to and from the wildlife centre, via Kuala Lumpur ( point of entry)
- You will be provided with accommodation at a subsidized rate of £100 per month. This fee also covers food (generally communal)
- Option to extend your internship depending on satisfactory performance
- NOT included: International travel to and from the centre, Personal travel insurance, Visa and vaccination costs
The start date for this internship is in SEPTEMBER 2019 and your minimum stay is for 3 months
To apply, please send your CV and motivation letter to