“My experience at the Rescue Centre was life changing.” Sam Hunt
Provide crucial animal care for rescued wildlife
This Wildlife Rescue internship is an incredible opportunity to help care for rescued animals. Poaching and illegal wildlife trafficking of orangutans and other endangered species are at crisis levels. Our Wildlife Rescue Centre in Jogjakarta (Yogyakarta in old spelling) Indonesia accepts and cares for rescued animals. Moreover, where possible, it rehabilitates and releases them back into the wild. However, behavioural and health conditions caused by previous owners mean for many animals the centre becomes their permanent home. The centre is seeking Wildlife Rescue Interns to provide crucial care to its animals, which include gibbons, orangutans, sun bears, birds and other rainforest animals. Also, there is the chance to get involved in the coordination of volunteer activities.
Animal Care Internship Responsibilities
- Cleaning and maintaining the animal enclosures
- Preparing food and providing food and water to the animals
- Helping staff to administer medication or treatment
- Observing animals for stress or unusual behaviour and reporting this to the staff
- Preparing animal enrichment to keep the animals active
- Keeping detailed records of behaviour, diet and other events
- Lead and educate volunteers in husbandry and enrichment activities
- Educate volunteers about the rescue and release process.
- Share the local culture with volunteers by exploring the cuisine and other experiences such as traditional wax art, music and dance.
Enjoy Jogja's fascinating sights and tastes
You will be based in the beautiful countryside, about an hour away from the vibrant city of Jogjakarta. There are plenty of unforgettable experiences to be had. For instance, watching the sunrise at the stunning Borobudur or Prambanan temple. Or, taking part in wax art classes, enjoying local dance and music performances.
Of course, there is also the delicious local cuisine. On Friday evenings, you will be welcomed into a staff member’s home or a local family for a Javan dinner. Here, you will experience traditional, home-cooked Javan cuisine. Maybe you can even try your hand preparing some. Their smiles are infectious and the delicious food just keeps on coming!
Finally, you can enjoy coming back to your comfortable on-site accommodation. Rooms have an en-suite shower and Western style toilet. They come with air-con, drinking water and tea/coffee facilities. There is a communal lobby with a TV, where volunteers socialise and enjoy meals together. Internet access is available and rooms have private balconies. The perfect way to relax at the end of the day!