“My experience at the Rescue Centre was life changing.” Sam Hunt
Provide crucial animal care for rescued wildlife
This Wildlife Rescue internship is an incredible opportunity to help care for rescued animals. Poaching and illegal wildlife trafficking of orangutans and other endangered species are at crisis levels. Our Wildlife Rescue Centre in West Java, Indonesia accepts and cares for rescued animals. Moreover, where possible, it rehabilitates and releases them back into the wild. However, behavioural and health conditions caused by previous owners mean for many animals the centre becomes their permanent home. The centre is seeking Wildlife Rescue Interns to provide crucial care to its animals, which include gibbons, orangutans, sun bears, birds and other rainforest animals. This is a unique chance to gain animal husbandry and wildlife management skills.
Wildlife Rescue Internship Responsibilities
- Cleaning and maintaining the animal enclosures
- Preparing food and providing food and water to the animals
- Helping staff to administer medication or treatment
- Observing animals for stress or unusual behaviour and reporting this to the staff
- Preparing animal enrichment to keep the animals active
- Keeping detailed records of behaviour, diet and other events
- Interns are encouraged to carry out a special project of their choice
- Download the full job description on this page
Enjoy Java's fascinating natural sights
You will be based in the beautiful foothills of West Java about 800 meters above sea level. The climate is tropical with day temperatures of 25 to 32 degrees Celcius. At night, it is a lot more chilly, as low as 15 degrees. The centre is located in a stunning rainforest area. It offers many opportunities for nature activities such as spotting wildlife, swimming in the large natural waterfalls nearby. The area is famous for at least 6 awesome waterfalls: some as high as 100 metres.
You can also join organised trips, for instance, caving with professional guides in the 1500 meter long cave. Alternatively, a guided tour around the amazing tea plantations that are typical for West-Java. Other activities include birding and Javan cooking lessons. The historic cities Bogor and Bandung are within travel distance. So, there are plenty of unforgettable experiences to be had.